| The IStructE delegation at the IEI Headquarters. Seen (L – R) : Mr Darren Byrne, Dr Hirak Sen, Prof Roger Plank, Mr G Prabhakar, Mr Madan Lal and Maj Gen R K Sanan, VSM (Retd)
A three-member delegation from The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), United Kingdom, consisting of Prof Roger Plank, President of the IStructE; Mr Darren Byrne, Director (Membership and Education) of the IStructE; and Dr Hirak Sen, Representative of the IStructE in West Bengal (India), paid a courtesy visit at the IEI Headquarters at 8 Gokhale Road, Kolkata (India) on 16 March 2011.
While at the IEI, the delegation had an in-depth interaction with Mr G Prabhakar, President of IEI; Mr Madan Lal, Immediate Past President of IEI, and Mr S L Garg, Dr S Nagabhushana Rao and Mr S B Sinha, members of the IEI Council, along with Maj Gen R K Sanan, VSM (Retd), Secretary and Director General of IEI. Mr Anoop Kumar, Deputy Director (International Cell) of IEI, was also present at the meeting.
The discussion at the meeting was focussed on the prospective areas to work upon by the IStructE and the IEI under mutual collaboration. The possibilities of both the organizations entering into an Agreement of Co-operation were also explored, with a view to ensure mutual recognition of engineering qualifications, joint activities in the field of structural engineering, exchange of technical publications, and participation in the programmes of mutual interest, etc.
A Brief Info About Institution of Structural Engineers
The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) is a professional body for structural engineering based in the United Kingdom. It has over 23,000 members in 105 countries. The Institution is a learned body and provider of professional accreditation for structural engineers. The Institution publishes a monthly journal, The Structural Engineer.
The Institution is an internationally recognised source of expertise and information concerning all issues that involve structural engineering and public safety within the built environment.
The core work of the Institution is supporting and protecting the profession of structural engineering by upholding professional standards and acting as an international voice on behalf of structural engineers.
History of Institution of Structural Engineers
The Institution gained its Royal Charter in March 1934. It was established at the Ritz Hotel, London on 21 July 1908 as the Concrete Institute, as the result of a need to define standards and rules for the proper use of concrete material in construction industry. The first headquarters were established at No. 8, Waterloo Place, Pall Mall, London; the first President was the Right Honourable Robert Windsor-Clive, 1st Earl of Plymouth, in whose honour the largest meeting room at the current headquarters at 11 Upper Belgrave Street, London, SW1X 8BH – is named. Incorporated in 1909 as a charitable company limited by guarantee, it was renamed the Institution of Structural Engineers in 1922, when its areas of interest were extended to cover ‘structures’ of all kinds; ‘structures’ being defined as ‘those constructions subject principally to the laws of statics as opposed to those subject to the laws of dynamics and kinetics, such as engines and machines’.
The Institution introduced an examination to qualify for membership in 1920. By 1925 the Institution had 1,700 members, growing over the years to the 23,600 currently.
Qualifying examinations for membership were introduced in 1920. At the same time, the first regional branches were formed, Lancashire & Cheshire being the first in 1922, followed by Western Counties in 1923. In 1937 the South Africa Branch became the first to be established outside the UK. There are now 32 branches, divisions and sections across the world.
For More Info Log on