Amazing Fact About Royal Charter and IEI that Every AMIE Aspirant Must Know-: While answering questions on Quora most of asking about recognition of AMIE. Role of IEI is far bigger than university and technical educational institution like AICTE. In India before the formation of AICTE and NBA, IEI was the only engineering body for Accreditation of courses around the country. In this post, I will explain Royal Charter and How IEI works towards growth of Engineering and technology in our country.
It is understood that in general, all know that IEI qualifies the student by examining incumbent of Section A & Section B to mark the candidate as equivalent to a BE/B Tech or BSC Engg. But, the real work chartered to this professional body is entirely different that every AMIE Aspirant must know. Role of IEI in Engineering society is far bigger than university and AICTE.
- Exam Strategy to Get Good Grade in Exam
- How to Deal with AMIE Exam Stress
- Essential Things to do before the AMIE Exam?
Basic Info About Royal Charter-:
On recommendation of Industrial commission, IEI was registered as a Company in 1920. IEI was granted A Royal Charter Of Incorporation in 1935. A royal charter is a formal document issued by a monarch as letters patent, granting a right or power to an individual or a body corporate. They were, and are still, used to establish significant organisations such as cities (with municipal charters) or universities and learned societies.
Charters should be distinguished from warrants and letters of appointment, as they have perpetual effect. Typically, a Royal Charter is produced as a high-quality work of calligraphy on vellum. The British monarchy has issued over 980 royal charters. Of these, about 750 remain in existence and one of them is The Institution of Engineers(India)
The objective of Charter and Role of IEI-:
- Promotion of Engineering, Its Business & Engineering knowledge in India.
- Corporate Members are integrated part of IEI till they belong to IEI.
- IEI is not a private body but Chartered NGO managed by Corporate members & governed by Council.
- IEI does not report to national Society registrar.
- IEI Council reports to Corporate Members.
- IEI is authorized by Charter to grant certificates of competencies as required under any law for the time being in force.
- IEI is authorized to advise the governments on any issue that effects engineering.
- IEI Charters its Corporate members to use Chartered Engineer (India) style & title.
- Charter provision authorises any chartered engineer to practice discipline of engineering one belong to.
- IEI educational qualification & its corporate membership are entirely different issues.
Its educational qualification which requires a pass in Section A & B is legally required to be approved by the Bharat Sarkar/Government lf India. For that purpose, it does not come under the purview of AICTE.IEI recognizes degree from all universities for the purpose to be allowed for consideration for corporate memberships.
- UGS approves Sec A & B for the purpose of allowing the candidate for post-bachelor programmes.
- All degree of universities in this country come under the purview of Washington Accord for the purpose of evaluation of international equivalence. So far we do not have that approval in permanence status.
- UKNARIC has recognized IEI qualification to UK bachelor’s degree in comparison status.
- High degree of mix up arose among Engineers that IEI should not be an authority for IIT pass outs. Fact is that IIT is an institution for Education & academic research exclusively. IIT is a statutory organization/Institution established by IIT Act. Nothing to do with the practice of Engineering.
- IEI has already been bashed by very senior engineers of this nation on account of misinformation only.
- IEI is not merely only an association of engineers but it is a Chartered body of this nation.
- Many said that it is having UK charter & not domestic charter.
According to Constitution of India, there was no amendment done to the Charter by the parliament post-1947 despite 5 years opportunity allowed for the existing laws in force at the time of freedom when Indian Independence Act & Indian Government Act 1935 were annulled. Total period of 7 years was missed by GOI to repeal Charter 1935.
- According to law, IEI Charter is still in force & Rule of Law recognizes its competencies.
- IEI is not mine or your’s body. It is a public Institution in the form of An autonomous Chartered body managed by its members. All elections to various offices are done by postal ballots.
- IEI had been mostly dominated by the government or defence personnel who never bothered about the Engineering practice. They never required the use of Chartered Engineer designation. Very limited engineers carried out the practice.
- Reference of IEI are available in various Municipal Acts, Architect Act 1972 & various other documentations.
- IEI was never a common public body virtually with the exception of publication of journals & conducting examinations.
Conclusions: In this post, I have tried in best way about Royal Charter, Not only Institution of Engineers (India), There are lots of universities and institution formed under Royal Charter during the British era. those universities and institution are still functioning like Institution of Engineers (India).
- How to Prepare for AMIE Exam using Previous Exam Paper
- How Become Professional Engineer [P Eng (India)] From IEI
- How to Crack Computing and Informatics with Good Grade
I hope you like my Post, If you like it do me a favour by sharing it with your friends. You may consider to AMIE Info Newsletter for latest AMIE Info directly to your E-mail Inbox. You can also follow AMIE Info on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.
Section-:A Recommended Books-:
- Fundamentals of Design and Manufacturing Paperback – 2016
- Materials Science And Engineering 13th edition (Paperback)
- Computing And Informatics Paperback – 2010
- Society and Environment 24th Edition Paperback – 2012
Section-:A Question Paper Solution-:
- AMIE – Section – (A) Fundamentals of Design and Manufacturing (AD-301,AN-201) Diploma Solved and Unsolved Paper (Summer,2016) Paperback – 2005
- AMIE – Section – (A) Materials Science And Engineering Diploma Solved And Unsolved Paper (Summer,2016) Paperback – 2005
- AMIE – Section – (A) Computing and Informatics (AD-303,AN-203) Diploma Solved and Unsolved Paper (Summer,2016) Paperback – 31 Dec 2012
- AMIE – Section – (A) Society and Environment (AD-304,AN-204) Diploma Solved and Unsolved Paper (Summer,2016) Paperback – 2005